Friday, May 27, 2011

Cutest Pin Cushion D.I.Y



While perusing the net a while ago I found this incredibly cute project: cup cake pin cushions. Its such a practical idea for using up fabric scraps, I had several woolen knits that were itchy or too pilled to wear so I happily chopped them up :)  I created my own version that looks more like a flower in a tea cup: Enjoy!

1. Collect your materials: You need fabric scraps, glue (I've used a hot glue gun), and some kind off small container ( you can get lots of exciting little ramekins and teacups at op shops for next to nothing)
I used sweaters that were unwearable-
they were itchy or pilled
You can use any kind of little cup or bowl 

2. Cut the fabric into strips then fold them long ways to create a nice edge. The length and width depends on the container your using, (i didn't measure any thing- just trim excess away as outlined at step 4).


 
3. To create a spiral look, place two contrasting fabrics on top of each other then roll

4. Place the rolled fabric into the cup, pushing up the center and trimming fabric from the bottom of the roll to fit. Once your happy with the shape, remove the rolled fabric and squirt some glue in between the layers to stop it from unraveling. 

5. Lastly glue the fabric into the cup tucking in the raw edges and voila! 

Cup cake pin cushion!


1. With this style I cut shorter strips of fabric to make the appearance of petals.
2. Glue the folded fabric straight into the cup, working from the out side- in. The start and end of each piece needs to be tucked down into the cup



3. Continue layering the strips until you get to the center.

Rose style pin cushion

No comments:

Post a Comment